Thursday 15 March 2012

Story Time Just Got Real....

Story Time With Jess appears to be growing in audience with each passing week. In the past few weeks I have read a multitude of books to a variety of different audiences; the most notable is to the class I work in at the nursery!!

Now I've always had a bit of a fear of reading outloud; mainly reading my own work, mainly due to a stutter that I have when I'm nervous, but it occasionally occurs even if I'm reading someone elses book, so it comes as no surprise that when the day finally came for me to read a story to the class; I was a wreck. My colleague sprung it on me and before I could protest (further) she had already asked the children and they were a-buzz with story anticipation.

I then read them all a brand new pop up story of Jack and the Beanstalk! The moment I started I immediately eased into it and remembered just how much I love to read stories to people, both children and adults alike, and the class loved it! There is nothing quite as lovely as seeing how happy and excited the children get about story time, especially one of mine.

Other stories that I have read to individuals and small groups of the children include:
  •  Funny Bones
  • Stick Man
  • The Gruffalo 
  • The Gruffalo's Child
  • Inspector Croc Investigates
  • Hug
  • Where The Wild Things Are
  • Dexter Bexley And The Big Blue Beastie
  • Goldielocks and The Three Bears
And a multitude of others which I just cannot remember! It's nice to see that quite a few of the stories that were read to be as a child are still just as beloved today (especially Funny Bones, I read this to one child on a daily basis and he joins in!).

I cannot wait for the next story time I get to have with the class. I definitely want to read the Gruffalo to them and see if the children (of ages 2 - 4) react in the same way as Toni did. 
x

No comments:

Post a Comment