Friday 13 April 2012

The Timewaster Diaries: A Year in the Life of Robin Cooper.

This is without a doubt the funniest book I have ever read. It is a joy to pick up, a breeze to read, and is guarenteed to leave any reader laughing and wanting more.



Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The fictional Robin Cooper has the most interesting outlook on life; I would definitely describe him as a dreamer with an extremely enthusiastic, almost childlike, attitude to life (one which I am happy to say that I too share). He is hell bent on becoming a world reknown inventor, with each hair brain scheme being a 'sure fire, billy boy hit!' Some of my favourite ideas are:
  • Aqua Choc - the world's first water centered chocolate bar!
  • Bird Beddie - a device that utilises the power of lullabies and underwear to safely capture birds, but instead introduces the vital character of Smithy the Wood-Pigeon.
  • The Nest Egg Kettle - ever since reading this book I have wanted to cook an egg in a kettle; the big corporations really SHOULD create this!
  •  The Tortimikeppi - a hat for turtles.
And many, many more, however my all time favourite invention of Robin's has to be Orag (Opposite Rhyming Animal Game)! I won't explain the rules though as it really is something wonderful, and hilarious, that every reader should discover on their own. I will say that I HAVE played the game with a friend though and it really is so much harder than Robin makes it seem. If anyone else has played it; feel free to tell be your best Orag!

Other characters that appear in the pages of Robin's 'Dear Diary' are: his clumsy but loveable wife Rita; who is proned to spraining her ankle, Tony Sutton; Robin's alcoholic, foul mouthed/tempered best friend and occasional house/shed mate, his mother Hilary Cooper; who enjoys eccentric hairstyles and is part horse, Miss Marsh/Captain Wig Wham Tommy; a learner driver/triangular hero of dreams, and many others.

My copy of the book (as seen above) is very tattered and at the point where it could fall apart on me at any moment, but keeps permanent residence on my bed as a light and uplifting read before I fall asleep. I've tried not to give too much away, as there is just too much I love about this book, but the only thing I can really say is that it's an absolutely fantastic book which everyone needs to read at least once in their lives. If anyone reading this already has then I ask; what was your favourite part?

No comments:

Post a Comment