Monday 4 June 2012

Book Quiz!


Found this on a friends blog and had to fill it in myself! 
The Rules:
1. Post these rules
2. Post a photo of your favourite book cover
3. Answer the questions below
4. Tag a few people to answer them too
5. Go to their blog/twitter and tell them you've tagged them
6. Make sure you tell the person who tagged you that you've taken part!
I tag any one who loves books! Please let me know if you do it so I can have a nosey.

What are you reading right now?
Nights At The Circus by Angela Carter

Do you have any idea what you’ll read when you’re done with that?
  
I’ve got a rather large pile to get through but I just received a parcel with a copy of 20th Century French Poems so I will be tackling that in-between novels.

What magazines do you have in your bathroom/lounge right now?
The Rolling Stone that made me cry three times with just one article.

What’s the worst book you've ever read?
Game Girls by Judy Waite

What book seems really popular but you actually hated?
The Twilight Saga. I didn’t mind them at first and once I read one of them I had to see the series through, but the final book really drove me mad. I don’t think that the author needed to have Edward say the words; ‘darling’, ‘sweetheart’, or ‘love’ in every sentence just to suddenly drive home that he is a hundred years older than Bella.

What’s the one book you always recommend to just about everyone?
Throughout my degree I fell in love with Angela Carter so I’d recommend all of her books.

What are your 3 favourite poems?
I’m not actually the biggest fan of poetry but I do love ‘Rain’ by Anne Hébert

Where do you usually get your books?
Waterstones, Amazon, other independent bookshops in towns or cities when I go to visit, and during book swaps with friends.
Where do you usually read your books?
In bed, or whilst travelling.

When you were little, did you have any particular reading habits?
My main reading habit as a child was my love for anything horror; from Goosebumps, Creepers, Point Horror, as an adolescent and then onto the Victorian Gothic. I just remember having a losing battle with my mum, in the teenage section of the library, forever begging her to let me read the only Goosebumps book they had (The Haunted Mask). At eight years old I had a stack of them and reoccurring nightmares.

Have you ever “faked” reading a book?
I have a degree in English literature, of course I have!

Have you ever bought a book just because you liked the cover?
On multiple occasions! Sometimes the old saying rings true, but other times I am pleasantly surprised.

What was your favourite book when you were a child?
The Forbidden Game Trilogy by L.J. Smith

What book have you loved that you expected to hate?
East Lynne by Helen Beck, definitely not my usual type of novel but once I had started it I found I couldn’t put it down, and was even more shocked when I cried at the end (I won’t spoil it, I promise).

What is your favourite passage from a book?
There are far too many that I love, but my favourite from my current read is as such;
‘... Yet none of this had altered to any great degree the invisible child inside the man, who indeed remained the same dauntless lad who used to haunt Fisherman’s Wharf hungrily eyeing the tangled sails upon the water until at last he, too, went off with the tide towards an endless promise.’ Angela Carter – Nights At The Circus.

What are your top five favourite authors?
In no particular order:

  •  Robert Louis Stevenson
  • Angela Carter
  • Jeanette Winterson
  •  Franz Kafka
  • A.S. Byatt

What book has no one heard about but should read?
Sexing The Cherry by Jeanette Winterson. Absolutely fantastic book, it blew my mind.


What 3 books are you an “evangelist” for?

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
The Time Waster Diaries – Robin Cooper
& The Forbidden Game Trilogy – L.J. Smith

What is your favourite classic book?
It’s a toss up between ‘The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde’ by Robert Louis Stevenson and ‘Frankenstein’ by Mary Shelley.

5 other notable mentions?
Just Friends by Robin Smith
Someone Like You – Roald Dahl
Oryx and Crake – Margaret Atwood
Night Watch – Sergey Lukyanenko
& A Picture of Dorian Gray – Oscar Wilde

IMG_0814-1

No comments:

Post a Comment