Sunday 24 June 2012

Where The Wild Things Are

My week was made on Wednesday when I was reading to the children before dinner time. I had four books in my lap and I chose a child to come and pick which story they wanted me to read, I was praying that someone would choose my favourite book, a story that I have never grown too old to love: 'Where The Wild Things Are' by Maurice Sendak.

Where-The-Wild-Things-Are-4401 Alas, after two stories it still hadn't been chosen. My heart sank as I ask them if they wanted another story or if they would like to sing some songs, as usually they love having a sing and I thought they wouldn't want another story, but to my surprise they demanded another! I was overjoyed and silently prayed that it would be chosen. And it was! It was like he had read my pleading mind.

They absolutely loved it! I think they even loved it more than I did, if that's possible! We all held up our own terrible claws, gnashed our terrible teeth, rolled our terrible eyes, and roared our own, very cute, very terrible roars. During the Wild Rumpus the children even told me that the Wild Things were jumping to try and catch the moon. I absolutely adore my job.

Where The Wild Things Are is about a little boy named Max who, when he put on his wolf costume, starts acting wild. His mother sends him to bed without his dinner after he shouts 'I'll eat you up!' at her and a mysterious forest grows in his bedroom and sails away to the land of the wild things. At first the fearsome looking beasts look to eat Max but he proves he is the most wild thing of all by staring into their big yellow eyes 'without blinking once', he is crowned King of the Wild Things and they all dance together in a Wild Rumpus until Max gets homesick and returns home to find his supper waiting for him, still hot. My favourite line from the story is when the Wild Things try to make him stay; 'Oh, please don't go, we'll eat you up, we love you so.'

Tribute has to be paid to such an incredible man that is Maurice Sendak who unfortunately passed away on the 8th of May 2012, but will live on forever through this fantastic story - and many other great works - that will carry on changing children's, and adult's, lives.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I do enjoy this post.. Particularly where you claim to adore your job!! These children are very lucky to have you!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this jess :)) xx

    ReplyDelete