Friday 8 June 2012

The Most Relevant Book of my University Life

I rediscovered this book when rifling through my book box in the porch some nights ago.



IMG03016-20120607-1843


I was fed up with my small bookshelf being filled with books that I never read; the seven 'Harry Potter' books and the 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' books (thirteen in total) taking up the entire shelf, and so I sought my university book box from in hope to find some hidden treasures. 

Inside holds an array of over 120 notes collected by O'Hagan, through what means she got them I am unsure, all from different people during their time living together. The notes range from the lovey dovey; shared between couples living together (clearly during the honeymoon stage of their relationship), to the dirty, unhygenic routines, onto the cut-throat furious! 


Anyone who has ever lived with someone, be it your best friend, loved one, or a complete stranger will  know that sooner or later that person will start to grate on them, and vice versa, and the only way of venting frustrations to one another is in note form. So many of these notes made me laugh when thinking back to my time at university; during class my friends and I would go through a small packet of post-its a day just talking to each other or drawing pictures (my favourite was Emma's Starfish story which I will find and scan in soon) and only ever occasionally being used to take the notes we thought were essentially needed in order to pass. As well as my three years living in student halls, with all the stupid notes my housemate and I would pass between each other, though scarcely ever heated I'm sure we got on each others nerves from time to time.
My favourites being:
  • 'I hate you more than life itself' - A TAD overdramatic but still hilarious.
  • 'I needed that ham, I really needed it.' - Never used this one directly but I think anyone who has shared a flat/house can relate to finally having some decent food in only to discover someone has eaten it and left you with toast again. 
  • 'Get off the phone, you are talking pap!' - Brilliant one that reminds me of all of the surreal times my flatmate and I helped each other send flirty, or witty texts. 
  • 'Everyday shopping list: Beer, Beer, More Beer, Ciggies  and if there's any money left; Wine for the Oddballs' - this list pretty much sums up mine and the flatmates three years in student halls. I will never forget the month I ate nothing but 10p noodles because I spent my money going out with my friends.
And many, many more but you will have to see for yourself! It is definitely worth a flick through, it is guaranteed to leave any reader smiling. I will finish off by leaving you with a 'note' that I discovered one day after yelling at my friends to be 'bloody quiet!!'



butter

Menaces.

No comments:

Post a Comment